The Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) is an international conference that focuses on central questions concerning the future of the global agri-food industry. It is held during the International Green Week (IGW). GFFA is organized by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL) in cooperation with the Senate of Berlin, Messe Berlin GmbH and GFFA Berlin e.V.
Welthungerhilfe and the Center for Development Research (ZEF) would like to cordially invite you to join our GFFA-Expert Panel Discussion:
Primacy of food security in bio-economies – an illusory precondition?
When: 16.01.2015 from 10 to 12 AM, Room M6/M7 – Level 3
Where: CityCube Berlin.
More and more non-food products are being produced based on agricultural raw materials. How much the Human Right to adequate Food is taken into consideration in both, policy design and entrepreneurial action, is decisive whether bioeconomy strategies will impede access to food for poor people or contribute to combating poverty.
Based on the presentation of new research results on food security standards this event will tackle the question of how to ensure that the primacy of food security is taken into account in bioeconomy strategies like those of the EU, the German Federal Government and the private sector.
Opening remarks: Dr. Rafaël Schneider (Welthungerhilfe)
Introduction: Prof. Dr. Joachim von Braun (ZEF)
- Dr. Michael Brüntrup (German Development Institute – DIE, Germany)
- Dr. Fred Dzanku (Institute of Statistical, Social and Economic Research – ISSER, Ghana)
- Michaele Hustedt (Initiative Sustainable Supply of Raw Materials for the Industrial Use of Biomass – INRO, Germany)
- Dr. Wolfgang Jamann (Welthungerhilfe, Germany)
- Clemens Neumann (Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture – BMEL, tbc)
- Dr. Adebayo Abass (International Institute of Tropical Agriculture – IITA, Tanzania)
- Joseph Rahall (Green Scenery, Sierra Leone)
- Dr. Norbert Schmitz (International Sustainability & Carbon Certification – ISCC, Germany)
Outlook: Martina Fleckenstein (World Wide Fund for Nature – WWF, Germany)
Moderation: Jan Lerch (journalist)
Please register until 09.01.2015: http://gffa-berlin.de/en/registration.html